Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Just in Case

I don't like to fly. I don't hate it in a totally terrified way like some people, but I never like to be out of control. And bumps and the like scare me... a lot. But usually a glass of wine before I board, and I'm fine. Unfortunately, tomorrow my flight is at 7:15 a.m. so I don't think I can do wine that early. I'll just have to be brave. Plus, the cab is picking me up at 4:30 a.m. so I may just be too tired to be scared.

When I have PB and my husband flying with me, I'm much better. Because really my fear of flying/dying is just a fear of leaving them. I think of all the things I wouldn't be able to tell, show and teach PB as he grows. I think of my husband marrying another woman and how she would wouldn't do things the way I want them done. And I cry.

So just to make myself feel better, I'm going to make a list of some of the things I would want him to know if, God forbid, something happens to me. It's a small and very incomplete list, but at least it would be something to let him know the lessons I intend to teach him. So here goes:

Care about people and what makes them unique.
Ask questions.
Be kind.
Love to learn for the sake of learning.
Read voraciously.
Travel as much as possible.
Without good health, nothing else matters. Take care of yourself.
Buy the best quality your budget allows.
Be passionate about life and your interests.
Don't be afraid to fail.
Appreciate the arts and respect nature.
Count your blessings every single day.
Love passionately and wholly even if you get your heart might get broken.
Don't be afraid of change. Embrace it.
Don't waste too much time planning because life usually doesn't care about your plans.
Don't ever use religion to justify hatred or bigotry.
Be confident in yourself, yet humble.
Realize how small your world is, and see beyond it.
Pray.
Always look your best; appearance does matter.
Learn to love exercise--it's the secret to much health (mental and physical) and happiness.
Listen well.
Always strive to be the best at whatever you do, but don't quit when you're not.
Good manners and good grammar are golden keys and will open many doors for you.
Family is precious.
Friends should be treasured.
People change.
Sometimes friendships end or need to be ended, and that's okay.
Have courage to stand up and do the right thing. always.
Whatever you chose to do, do it passionately, or it's not worth doing.

There's so much, much more. And actually I hope that over the years I can continually add to this list and go back to it and see how we're all doing...

So with that, I'm off to finish packing and try to get a few hours of sleep. I doubt I'll have much time to post while I'm gone, but I bought a brand new notebook, so I'll write when I'm gone and upload when I return.

I'd love to hear from anyone of you--what are the most important messages/qualities you want to install in your children--whether they're already born or not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, no time is too early for wine. Wine is acceptable at ALL times. Jesus said so.

I think you hit on all a lot of good ones. I think a couple of mine would be:

Everything happens for a reason, even if you don't know what that reason is at the time.

Always be positive. And always find that silver lining. It's there. Look for it.

Go away for college. More than a few hours driving distance. It is the best way to learn to fend for yourself and become independent.

And finally, beer before liquor and you've never been sicker.

Have a good trip!

redheadmomma said...

Love the religion never justifying hatred or bigotry. great one!

I think the only one I can think of is,

Run far away from toxic friends and relationships. They are not worth it. You are always, 100% of the time, worth more than that.

I am the same way when traveling. If I travel with my family, no problem! But if I travel alone, it makes me so crazy with the thoughts of my dying and leaving the kids without a mother.

Love Kristabella's additions too!

xxxx said...

Ohhh, that's such a good list! Be safe!

Wes said...

Oooh. I hate flying too, but I agree. I think it is fear of losing out on my family too. Amazing.

How about: If it isn't positive for you and the other person(s), then just don't do it.