Monday, January 21, 2008

dilemma

I'm in the middle of such a cliche woman's situation it's not even funny. I got a great job offer, but I don't want to leave my son, not for a full-time, in-the-office job. Should I be able to do it part-time, telecommute, work part-time or have an extremely flexible schedule? Absolutely. could i do an incredible job that way? No question. Will they let me? It's doubtful. And it makes me mad--not just about this particular situation, but the situation for women everywhere.


Businesses really should take advantage of all the very talented, brain-bored mothers out there who would love to work in some capacity. I talk to them all the time--women who had amazing careers, and would love to work a little, but can't do a traditional 40-hour job in an office. If businesses were just a bit more flexible they would get such great product, input, work and dedication. but they're scared to break the mold. Good Lord, what would it do to their head count.


I've been lucky doing freelance for a number of years; and more has and will continue to come my way. But I should be able to do more. And I would do so much more. Pay me for 20 hours, you surely will get 30 or more in return. Because I'm hungry, and frankly, I'm good at what I do. I want to work, but I don't need to do it from 9-5 in a cubicle to produce results. My brain needs some stimulation. My mortgages (PLURAL) need paying.


But most of all I love my son, and I think now he needs me. He's not going to need me as much in coming years. And in coming years, my windows for work will open wider and wider. But for now, I'm keeping them shut a bit. And it's my choice. But the whole thing still makes me angry.


I will go into more detail later. But for now I just need to vent.

4 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

If you can afford it- stay at home for now. Work is always there and kids grow up so fast.

Yes indeed, though- this is a sucky dilemma.

redheadmomma said...

what did you decide? Yes, that does indeed blow.

Anonymous said...

You have every right to be angry. It angers me too and we don't have any children yet.

secretmom said...

As hard as it was--particularly because of our current financial situation--I turned it down. I'm still hoping they come back to me with some kind of work down the line, but for now, I'm just not willing to give up this time with PB--i'll never get it back. money we can...hopefully!