Monday, September 24, 2007

Love Bugs



Have you ever heard of lovebugs? Real ones?

I certainly hadn't. But again Florida wildlife surprises me.

Lately, these bugs fly around everywhere; and they're ALWAYS in twos...apparently mating all the way. They don't separate and look like crazy two-headed pests.

I've heard, though have yet to research, that they can leave behind some crazy liquid (which I dare not speculate as to what it is) that can wreck you car. So if you see this substance you have to go wash your car right away. Also, they can apparently gather in huge swarms. Great. (I'm picturing my encounter with a lovebug swarm as I'm sprinting away from a bear or alligator.) Oh and a bonus, I've heard that more lovebugs in a year means more hurricanes that year. I'm not even going to start thinking about those.


What blows me away is that I have lived my whole life, traveled and/or lived in most regions of the United States, and I have never, ever heard of these crazy things. Weird, just weird.


Have I mentioned the huge pelican-like crane birds? No, well, they come up to at least my shoulder and they're everywhere. They block my jogging path eating some kind of berries from the ground. I'm quite frightened of them and run WAY around them.

The lizards, I've mentioned before; they're quite cute. PB likes to chase and even pick them up. But this one scared the bejeezus out of me on Saturday morning. I saw something moving in my rear view mirror, and realized it was actually on it, rather than it. He then moved to the window right beside my face, which was a little unsettling. But to his credit, the little guy hung on for the entire 10 miles or so, his tail blowing in the breeze.

I swear sometimes I feel like I've moved to another country rather than just another state.




2 comments:

xxxx said...

So they stay that way ALL THE TIME? Wow.

Wes said...

You just made me realize that we don't get those here in Atlanta. Hmmmm. They used to drive us all crazy in Mobile. LOL. Funny how we forget things...