Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bad Hair Day

The other day before swimming lessons, I was bending down to help PB put on his swim trunks in the gym locker room. He looked at my head , and said, "your hair is kind of blackish up there." Since the rest of my hair is blond, I took this as a sign that I was long overdue for highlights. Now, since I just got them done about seven weeks ago http://closetmom.blogspot.com/2007/07/hair-day.html, this is quite premature. When I have a good highlight/lowlight job, I can go for three months or more. But because of aforementioned job, it was time.

So I went about researching a new salon. I like the best when it comes my hair, I like swanky, chic, hip, and really don't care how much it costs. It's my hair after all. So I went to City Search and found that one salon had received the Best of Award for two years running, and it was in Winter Park, a really nice area of Orlando. Surely, this would be great.

I called and made my appointment. It was a little unsettling when they asked if I'd like my hair dried and styled afterwards--for an additional $18! "Opposed to walking out with dripping wet hair?" I asked. The answer was yes. And while that might turn many people off, I thought, "wow, this place must be really great if they charge extra just for that." I was excited.

So I began my drive there, enjoying my music on the radio and looking forward to a relaxing afternoon. I kept driving and driving. I passed the nice parts of Winter Park and think surely I've missed it. But the numbers are going in the right direction, so I keep going and going and going. Finally I see it--in a rundown, ramshackle strip mall with only a single neon sign to identify it "Salon"--not the name of the salon, just Salon. Not good, but I'm still thinking maybe it's a hidden treasure--after all it's City Search's Best. So I park, walk up and look in the window only to find the unswankiest, unhippest, rundown looking joint with a bunch of middle age ladies sitting under hairdryers.

I panic, think of the horror my hair will ensure...and I hightail it back to my car and get out of there. I didn't answer my cell phone and didn't call them to cancel because what was I going to say, "Your place looks like a dump there's no way I'm trusting you with my hair?"

I do feel bad for standing up the poor stylist, but come on!!! City Search's BEST for two year's running. They have to be paying off people to vote or waging some kind of big blue-hair campaign, or sleeping with the judge or something. My Seattle salon was City Search's Best, and it was. This, clearly wasn't.

My penance I guess is the roots I'll continue to sport for another week or so and the research that will go into finding yet another salon.

The good thing is that since my time was free I got in a five-mile run. It was hot, but not unbearable. It didn't run fast--no idea how fast--but I felt good. I took a couple short walk breaks and at the half way point ran into Walgreens for a bottle of water. My goal is to run the whole 5-mile loop without even one walk break, and then I'll move up to some more mileage.

Happy Saturday!

5 comments:

Niki said...

Not even sure how I stumbled on your blog...

You might want to try Bangz in Winter Park. It's in downtown Winter Park.

xxxx said...

LOL ... I love that you ditched the appointment! HA! That is totally something I would do. It is your HAIR after all!

You're so good ... I need to start running again.

CheleTales said...

Hair is not intended to be subjected to Supercuts, and I hope you find your celebu-stylist there soon.

You don't give up a good stylist, ever (except for moving halfway across the country). How can we forget Dean? After all, you set me up with him, and we dated briefly (all of 6 weeks, 3 years ago) and then it ended abruptly, without explanation. But of course there was no way I was going to lose a good hairsylist over a wilting non-relationship.

Can you believe that I've been getting my haircut with him for 5 years now? In fact, I'm due for another cut and color. Maybe Dean has another brother down in Florida. :)

Unknown said...

I applaud you for having the courage to turn and run. I'm sure there are great stylists serving their time in rundown shops, but in my experience, it is a rarity.

redheadmomma said...

I wouldn't have gone in there either. The designer in me LOVES that it was so bad, the sign only said "SALON". Priceless!

Good luck - I always advise to be on the lookout in public, and when you see someone with a great head of hair, go tell 'em so, and ask where she gets her hair done. Works beautifully to find the good pediatricians & OBs too :)