Sunday, September 30, 2007

Injured!

So my first Florida injury that resulted in a trip to the urgent care center was not at the hands of a wild animal, as I would have predicted. Rather, it was a golf cart that did me in!

Yesterday, we went down to see my husband's parents. They live in a huge, beautiful retirement community. It is, I believe, advertised as a golf cart community. Most everyone owns them and you can drive them all over the place--the grocery stores, to neighbor's houses, to the softball games my father in plays nearly every day of the week, and of course to the golf course. They're quite fun.

There are also a number of country clubs within the community, and they all have GREAT happy hours. So yesterday, as we often do, my husband and I decided to leave PB behind with the in laws and head out for a drink in the golf cart. At the last minute he decided to take a detour and was going too fast around a corner.

I went flying out of the golf cart.

There was lots of blood, lots of pain. It was one of those moments of complete shock as I lay there on the grass (thankfully) not wanting to open my eyes, not wanting to find out how bad it really was.

I'm fine, but sore and bruised and cut. Two fingers on my left hand got pretty bad slices--i think from the very coarse grass. My right knee hit the curb and has lots of scrapes and bruises. It's sore, but did NOT swell overnight like I expected it to. In fact, besides the stinging from the scrapes, it doesn't feel bad. I walked all over Sea World today just fine. I have a host of other bruises and scrapes all over; and my shoulders and neck are extremely sore--probably more from the tension than anything.

The worst part of it all is how incredibly badly my poor, sweet husband felt. He still feels so bad and is beating himself up way more than I was beaten up. It was totally an accident, and of course, I'm not mad at all. But still he feels bad, which makes me feel bad.

It REALLY freaks me out to get hurt like this. It makes me think about how quickly your life can turn upside down. What if I'd gone head first into the cement? What if PB had been with us? etc., etc.

I'm not sure how's it's going to affect my workouts this week. I may try to see what I can do at the gym for a bit tomorrow. And perhaps a soak in the whirlpool would be good for me. We'll see. I'm really thankful I wasn't hurt worse.

Other than that, it was a good weekend. More housing ups and downs with House #1, but nothing really of interest to report. No word at all on our house in Washington, of course. So. Sick. Of. That!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i'm so glad that you're okay. it could have been much worse.

CheleTales said...

Oh my word. Glad to hear that you didn't sustain any serious injuries. And what a random accident. Reminds me of my former boss who broke her foot stepping off a trolley in San Fran. She wouldn't even own up to how the foot got broken.

Your poor hubby. I can't imagine the guilt. But what a great opportunity to seed some ideas for "guilt" gifts. ;-)

Pokey said...

OUCH! Glad it wasnt worse!

Wes said...

I hope next time you make hubby let you drive :-) Glad it wasn't more serious!

xxxx said...

Oh, my goodness! I cannot believe that! I hope you aren't too sore.

Sean said...

ow, ow, ow... glad you survived.