Thursday, October 25, 2007

Just Him and I

PB didn't have school today. I'm not sure why, but none of the public schools around here did. Anyway, we made no plans and woke up with no set idea what to do. After some discussion we decided to start at the gym where he loves to go. I had a great workout and shower, and he had a blast playing with the kids and in and on all the equipment there. In fact, he was crying so hard when I picked him up that I thought something terrible had happened. But when he could finally talk, he said he was just sad he had to leave.

Then we headed to a cute little park in the new town we'll be living in. They had a nice playground, a lake that we strolled around and tons of ducks to feed. The weather was nice and cool--definitely the coolest by far since we arrived in Florida. In fact, I wished I had a jacket. I guesstimated it to be in the mid 60s, but I'm in fact a horrible guesstimator because it's actually 78. People said our blood would thin here in Florida, and we'd become wimps. But being from hearty Midwestern stock, I pishawed them. Now I'm scared. If I'm shivering in 78, what am I going to do when I go back to Seattle where today's temp reads 50?!!! I can't even think about visiting my parents in Nebraska this winter.

Anyway, after a lovely, cool morning at the park, we went and had a nice lunch together. We chatted about his school, friends and how he misses Washington, but likes it here. And the icing--he's actually napping right now. (I had to trick him into it, but it's a nap!)

I love days like this when it's just him and I, and I get to focus all of my attention on just enjoying him. I'm so amazed at how he's grown, the evolution of his thoughts and the absolutely limitless imagination he has. His heart is so good and pure, and looks up at me like I know all and can fix all. I tear up just looking at him sometimes because I know how fleeting this time is and how quickly he'll realize I can't fix everything and be everything for him.

Already he tells me where he would like me to stand when I pick him up from school and what I should and should not say. He told me the other day that he does NOT like "that word crabby". And he really doesn't like people saying "bless you" for some reason--I think because it implies he sneezed, which he always denies right after doing so. Of course, he also denies falling down, pinching his fingers, or anything that hurts him. He just says it didn't happen and will argue adamantly until you wonder if it really did--even though you just witnessed it.

I don't know what I'll do when the spontaneous hugs and kisses stop; when he won't want to nuzzle my nose with his in the middle of the restaurant. Hell, I don't know what I'm going to do without them for FOUR WHOLE DAYS when I go back to Seattle. While I'm looking forward to the trip, I can't even begin to think about how much I'm going to miss him. I know he'll be in good hands with my husband and his grandparents, but they won't be my hands.

No comments: