Saturday, October 13, 2007


So, I wasn't set up very well for the race today. While I went to bed early, we don't have an alarm clock and instead use my cell phone. Well, said cell phone proceeded to ring throughout the night--at least three times(telemarketers who think we're still on West Coast time, as I still have my Seattle number)--waking us with each ring. Soooo frustrating and exhausting. I finally ended up just turning it off, which made me paranoid that I would miss my race, so I really didn't sleep much at all.

So I got out of bed around 6:15 a.m. and just stayed up until I needed to leave around 7. I had some coffee and an egg and turkey sausage for breakfast, then about 6:45 a.m. woke my husband up and told him to listen in case I screamed on the way to my car in the dark apartment parking lot.

I got to my car and the race just fine, but then started panicking as I looked at around at the other racers who seemed to all be in super fit shape. I was having some major body envy and was desperately searching for anyone who looked older or more out of shape than me. I swear there weren't many. I seriously started to wonder if there was a possibility I could come in last.

It seemed to take forever until the actual race started, and I was ready to curl up on a bench and go to sleep. I was soo tired.

Finally people started pushing to the starting line. I wasn't in the back, probably close to the middle, but from the time the horn sounded, it took at least 30 seconds or more before I was actually moving more than a walk. But once I did start, it was a beautiful run.

We started out around a lake and proceeded through some beautiful Maitland neighborhoods with gorgeous homes. Lots of neighbors were out to cheer us on. I passed lots of people; and I got passed by others. At the 1-mile mark they shouted out 10:59 as I passed, and I was a little disappointed. I held back to some extent during mile 2 because I didn't want to run out of energy. I can't remember my time at mile 2, but it was better than mile 1 as far as my average time. The last mile felt longer than the first two, but really throughout the whole thing, I felt great. No cramping, and I never even felt the urge to walk. I'd put my sights on someone in the distance and then see if I could manage to pass them. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. The weather was unremarkably perfect.

My husband and PB were waiting for me around 2.5 miles and that was fun. PB looked really perplexed as to what I was doing, but smiled and waved. On the home stretch I tried to push it a little, but not full out. As we approached the finish line I made it through to my own space, because I wanted the announcer to say my name as I came across the line. Then out of the blue some little 10 or 11-year-old boy sprinted full on and passed me, so they were talking about him instead. Good for him, but still I was slightly bummed my momentary spotlight was stolen.

I couldn't find the clock (it wasn't a recorded race, they told us to just look at the clock when we crosesd the finish line) but after a few seconds I found it and it read.........................


So not great. But pretty good, and if you subtract the 30 seconds or so that it took me to actually start the race (can I do that?), I think I'm pretty close to my goal of 10-minute miles.

Regardless of any time or accolades, however, is the fact that I did it, and I felt great doing so. It was soo much fun, and I've totally been bitten by the race bug once again. I can't wait to do another one!!! a longer one!!!

The children's race followed. PB was so cute in his t-shirt that was way too big with his race number pinned on. There were only like six kids in his division, all of whom were bigger. And he, actually, did come in last. But he did it, and he got his ribbon. He had fun, and I was proud of him. However, I'm not sure he's been bitten by the race bug like I have. I asked him if he was ready to sign up for another race, and he said, "no, today was quite enough." Of course he also refuses to take his ribbon we'll see.


CheleTales said...

So proud of you. I wish I could have been there to root you on. Now if I could just muster an ounce of motivation from your example to get me to the gym for some heart-healthy exercise...

Manic Mom said...

Ahhhh! That is awesome! Stupid Q but that's a Five K, right? I wish I could get the motivation to do a race. I bet it's an amazing feeling!!

Good for you!! Good for PB and his ribbon! And I'd say a ten-minute mile is pretty awesome!!

redheadmomma said...

Good for you that you went for it, even though the sleep was less than wonderful! That's great you both raced!!

p.s. cheletales, if I can drag my fat ass to the gym 3-4x/week WITH the logistical challenge of having two children babysat, so can you, my dear friend. :)

Wes said...

That is so awesome! Don't get caught up in anybody else for even a second. This is about you!! and you did fantastic!! I always start my watch when I cross the line. In timed races, you have race time and chip time. So yea, take off the thirty seconds!!

Congrats to PB for a great race! Keep setting such a great example, and you'll have him running 5Ks in no time :-)

secretmom said...

Thanks for all the congrats!

Manic--yep, 5K, which is just over three miles. You could totally do it!