Saturday, October 20, 2007

Vent

Why would anyone say this to me?

"My husband saw someone walking out and thought it was you. I said, 'oh no, that's not Closetmom, she would have had to have changed a whole lot in a couple weeks to look like that.'"

And, not only did she say it to me, she then had to repeat it to my husband and relate her hilarious story to him.

She was so obviously begging for us to say, "what did she look like?" And you know what? there's no good answer. Neither of took the bait, thankfully, because I don't really want to know. Either this phantom me was uglier, fatter, more hideous looking than I, which then leaves me with the fact that her husband thinks I could look like that. OR the person was so much more beautiful, skinny, amazing than I that she thought it crazy he could believe I looked like that.

I get the whole mistaken identity thing. I'm AWFUL with recognizing people I've met a zillion times and then on countless occassions swear I know someone I've never met. But what I don't get is WHY you would need to say this. Like I said, there's no good answer.

I should not get so upset by things like this, but I do. I'm attending a parenting series and they say if your happiness is based on what other people say and do, you'll never be happy or you'll spend your life trying to change things that can't be changed.

And really, I know this person doesn't really mean any harm; and most of the time she is an amazing person in my life. But still...

3 comments:

CheleTales said...

I hear ya on that one. No godd answer can come from that. And it's hard to just let it go and not dwell on it. If she's a good friend, all you can do is assume best intentions. But I'm with you. If someone said something like that to me, I'd fixate on it until I had something better to "grind my ax" on.

redheadmomma said...

I would assume, since you say she's amazing the rest of the time, that she meant it as a compliment. I know, it's a strange way to do so - maybe she has an odd sense of humor. But always look at the person's intentions, like you're doing.

And all of us put our foot in our mouths and say insensitive things every so often. We are human. My suggestion: divert your attention into something positive. Do a random act of kindness for someone else, for instance. You'll feel better then.

Anonymous said...

people are shit. don't feel bad.